Explore the country’s biggest adventure playground this spring
Whether you’re looking for a mountain scramble, a coastal gallop or a downhill challenge, the Lake District, Cumbria has a dramatic landscape of lakes, mountains, countryside and coast to explore this spring.
Check out our top tips for outdoor adventures, or visit the GoLakes website for more ideas and inspiration:
- Take in the sea air on horseback: Enjoy stunning views across the Irish sea and the Western Lake District on horseback with Cumbrian Heavy Horses. Canter from the Duddon Estuary on the Cumbria coastline along endless miles of beautiful sand dunes and tranquil scenery. Ride on a majestic Clydesdale, Shire or Ardennes horse and make it a trip to remember. Prices start from £70 per person.
- Enjoy a quintessential Lakeland cruise: Windermere’s unique scenery and atmosphere make spring the perfect time of year to get out and discover some spectacular natural wonders. Travelling by Windermere Lake Cruises is a unique way to see the famous Lakeland fells, wooded shoreline and rolling countryside along the lakeshore. The 45 minute ‘Blue Islands Cruise’ is at £8 per adult and £4 per child, other cruises are available.
- Get in a spin: Explore the grounds of a country house estate or have an adventure on a race track on Cumbria Tourism’s ‘Tourism Experience of the Year’ Lakeland Segway. Feel the exhilaration as you whizz along tracks and trails whilst taking in the glorious sights and sounds of Cartmel Racecourse and The Holker Hall Estate. With professional training, safety instruction, and lots of practice included, you’ll be well equipped to set off on a thrilling mini adventure. Prices start from £40 per person.
- Feed your need for speed: Challenge yourself whilst having an epic day out over endless miles on one of Cumbria’s fantastic man made mountain bike trails. The Altura Trail at Whinlatter Forest Park is a 19km red grade challenge with some superb flowing sections of single-track, huge sweeping berms, technical forest sections, and optional black graded features. This awesome trail rewards success with outstanding views, making it one of the best places for thrill seekers this spring! Free Entry.
- Walk the wall: Discover the northern frontier that is Hadrian’s Wall from Carlisle Castle and follow in the footsteps of a mighty Roman empire to the historic Birdoswald Roman Fort. Witness the longest surviving stretch of wall and extensive remains of Roman settlement while spotting fort milecastles, turrets, a Roman bridge, and Cumbrian wildlife as you look out towards the Lake District and North Pennines. With the unique 2017 celebration of Hadrian’s Cavalry kicking off from 8th April, there has never been a better time to have your very own historical adventure. Carlisle Castle entry at £6.40 per adult and £3.80 per child and Birdoswald Roman Fort entry at £6.10 per adult and £3.70 per child.
- Look up to the sky: Head outdoors to witness the dark night sky in all its glory. Head away from the bright lights of towns and villages and up to Church Fell near Sizergh Castle in Lake District National Park where, on a clear night before a full moon, you can see infamous constellations the Plough and Orion’s Belt. Just remember to take your binoculars and a flask of hot chocolate. Free Entry to Church Fell. Sizergh entry from £6.50 per adult and £3.25 per child.
- Zip through a forest: Think you, your friends, and family could handle three hours of tree top adventure? Are you wild enough to climb 30ft up a rope ladder, Tarzan Swing into a giant rope net, then zip wire through trees, crawl through tunnels, and tackle high wire rope bridges? If so, try out GoApe at Grizedale Forest where you will be guaranteed hours of fun whilst unleashing your inner ape. The Tree Top Adventure starts from £33 per adult and £25 per child.
- Descend a clifftop… backwards: A popular and thrilling activity for the brave – walking off a cliff backwards and living to tell the tale! Try your hand at a gentle abseil, push yourself with a mega abseil of 120ft, or really up the adventure stakes with a canyoning experience at Mere Mountains. Set amongst spectacular caverns and gorges, this exciting opportunity will make for a truly memorable day. Activities start from £35.
- Experience views like no other at 15,000ft: Get your adrenaline pumping, face your fears, and enjoy a once in a lifetime experience skydiving the Lake District this spring with Skydive Northwest. After the exhilarating 120mph freefall, it’s time to catch your breath whilst you enjoy a tranquil parachute ride through stunning landscapes. What better way to go ‘sightseeing’ than from thousands of feet above it all? Tandem Skydive at £230 per person.
- Put yourself in the driving seat: Experience the exhilaration of a real 4X4 off road driving adventure and discover the Lake District National Park from behind the wheel of a specially prepared KANKKU vehicle. These tough and capable ex-army Land Rovers allow you to go off the beaten track as you are expertly guided on challenging rough and rocky terrain on a gripping journey with a spectacular lake and mountain backdrop. Prices from £45 per person.